Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas and beyond

The Really Late Christmas Blog
So Christmas is over now and I’m sure this Christmas will go down as one of the most unique of my life. I was really having a hard time with the whole holidays away from my family and friends but it turned out to be really nice. Went over to Jessica’s on Xmas Eve day. Jess, Meg and I baked cookies, made a cake, and prepared for dinner that night then hit the pool at TLC. Meg made a lovely tortiere and we had salad, potatoes, carrots and snow peas with oatmeal cookies, an interesting peach, chocolate and pineapple cake, cream puffs and tapioca for dessert. I have to admit there was a large amount of wine consumed at dinner as well. Marijn came over for dinner and to spend the night too so there were four of us celebrating together. Then we went to midnight mass (started at 10 though) at Christ the King the church down the street expecting to sing some carols and feel festive. Nope it was a rather sober session made worse by the combination of wine drank at dinner and the priest’s long lecture on the evils of alcohol oooops. Ah well what can you do.
Got up relatively early and us three introduced Marijn to the opening presents on Christmas morning tradition which was fun. I finally got to open the present my dad brought over and Jess finally got to open the one that her mom put in her suitcase back in August. After making cinnamon buns, receiving phone calls from home and bidding good day to Marijn who was off to a Christmas lunch with a friend who happened to be from one of Kampala’s big deal families, we set off for the pool. Yes that’s right we spent Christmas day sitting by the pool at the Sheraton hotel getting a tan and swimming. It was really surreal, the day was so hot and sunny, we sat by the pool three of us who didn’t know each other at this time last year and listened to Christmas carols. Strange but good, really relaxing day and I got a bit of a tan finally…
That night we got dressed up and went for dinner at Emin Pasha the nicest (I think) hotel in town. Marijn met us there and had some excellent stories about his lunch with Kampala high society. Dinner was amazingly good but kinda odd as we were the only people in the whole restaurant. I think we had four servers each… Walked back to Jess’ and slept there again.

The current blog
So in under 2 days Meg and I decided to go to South Africa for a week. Well on the 27th it was which ever flight leaving the next day was cheapest either Dar es Salaam or Jo'burg. Jo'burg it was. Cheap flights and discount airlines have brought me to Cape Town South Africa. I'm a backpacker again and experiencing some brutal culture shock. Heading out into the town to explore now and looking into wine tours, Robben Island and all that.
Going to Jo'burg on the 2nd and heading back to Entebbe on the 4th. Wish I had more time here it would be a great place to really do the bum-y backpacker thing and just have a ton of fun, see cool things and chill out. If you need to contact me my South African phone number is (country code) 795805646....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home