Sunday, August 13, 2006

Moving In

So I left G-town on Friday. I took the bus back with Grace who was coming down to see her family. Most of my co-workers who work up-country leave their families down here or in their actual homes. I enjoyed my time up in G-town though at times it was pretty intense. I didn't really realize the scope of the war until I spent like two hours read the bio data of our beneficiaries which included their war injuries. I wasn't finished reading them but I had to stop it was too horrible to read any more - not looking forward to coming up with a database for that info. The bus down was interesting it was sort of crowded, people sitting on stools on the aisles then someone decided to buy some chickens from the people who hold up food and things to buy when the bus stops in their town for a minute or two. The chickens sat under the seat across the aisle from me. The whole way down the tv played music videos either local or an odd assortment of R&B (slow jam type stuff), celine dion and the occasional hip/hop song. it was incredibly loud - to the point that when people called me i couldn't hear them. My friend Jess is here now but she's living on the opposite side of the city and we haven't managed to meet up yet though we've talked a lot. I've moved into my apartment down here. So nice to unpack and not have guard dogs and a guard with a gun outside all night. There's still a guard either Julius or Charles but they aren't armed and the last couple of nights I've sat around and chatted with them b/c there aren't as many mosquitoes down here....
Yesterday I was taken to a grocery store - like a normal western style grocery store. it was pretty funny haven't seen that many other expats since i left dubai airport. the first time in a couple of weeks I instantly knew what to do. I'll be happy once I have some dishes so I can cook here at the moment I have to go to the kitchen in the office (it takes less than 30 seconds but still), dishes etc come on Monday. I'll be trying to post some photos and put a link to some photos on the side there. Enjoying having my own space (with Internet!!!!) and having my music and wardrobe back. Though not enjoying the traffice here, it is unreal - sitting in traffic is a way of life i think. Anyways heading down to get some meat from a butcher.... should be interesting to say the least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home