Wednesday, July 26, 2006

First thoughts

So been here for a couple of days now. Haven’t really seen the city – they sort of wanted me to hit the ground running as they say. The office staff is really nice and funny, I share an office with Keith who is in charge of the medical programmes and the office has a window where every so often I get a lovely warm breeze coming through. My supervisor Evelyn is a lot younger than I thought and super fun. I do have to get used to the rhythm of life here it's much different from the scheduled and structured work I'm used to - sometimes causes me stress but I'm learning to get over it and go with the flow - everything will happen eventually. My apartment is not ready yet so I’ve been staying at the youth hostel which is nothing like any other hostel I’ve ever stayed at there is a high percentage of nuns and other members of the religious community (I think it is connected to the Catholic parish here) can’t say it’s a ton of fun but then again I haven’t made much of an effort to talk to the other guests, only staying there for one more night because I’m heading up north for about a week of training and orientation around the IDP camps (so don’t expect any postings for a while I’m not sure about internet access). Just figured out that I didn’t really pack any shirts for the field so I’m not sure what I’m going to be wearing…… just pants I guess ha ha ha.
It like a 20 minute walk to work along a paved but very dusty road that is crazy busy, cars, minibuses crammed full of people, boda-bodas (scooter taxis) the later two often offering me rides – apparently it’s weird that I like to walk. Besides the walking I look strange too - everywhere I go I get stared at!!!! The best had to be the kid on the way to work today who stopped dead in his tracks, stared at me and then just as I was almost completely past him he say hi how are you? He was like 8 or so – it was pretty funny. I’ve been told I’ll get used to the staring. The traffic is terrifying, no lanes, little rules, lots of people and they drive on the other side of the road from us at home.
Ah the big question food: so far I’ve eaten matooke (mashed plantains – can’t say I’m a fan but will have to learn to like it) as well as some sort of sweet potatoes, groundnut sauce and some pea sauce thing. It’s been interesting because we all have lunch together at the office (pay once a month and get lunch for the month super cheap!!) so it’s definitely let’s see how the Canadian likes our food and Mom you’d be proud I’ve eaten everything on the table both days though there was talk of grasshoppers which I may decline as apparently the heads remain on……
It is a huge change from life in Canada but I think I’m doing ok – it’s better when I’m around other people the nights at the hostel have been kinda lonely but up country I’m sharing a seriously tiny room with another new staff member at the base camp in G-town so I don’t think loneliness will be a problem then when I get back I can move into my apartment and get settled. Plus Jessica will be arriving then too so lots of excitement. I do miss you all though and enjoy your comments and emails so keep them coming even if I can’t check them while I’m in G-town. Will hopefully have pictures to show you when I get back. Love ya tons!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey E.L.! Good to hear you're safely arrived and things are going ok. Too bad about the lack of a happy hour at the ol' hostel, but maybe it'll teach you to ask the really TOUGH questions next time you're making a reservation, lol. I'm seriously impressed by the fact that you're eating (you still have the peanut butter, right? -j/k). Enjoy the adventure and take care when you head up north with all the borders, flows and such ;) Sending my love and awaiting some pics when you get the chance!!!

July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

INTERGALACTIC... ok. I wont finish. Happy hour.. did someone mention happy hour. I miss it. I want to come and visit so bad. Its ok to be lonely, your friend will come very soon. Don't worry gund is safe with me. Oli is cute. Head up north. Be safe. Look both ways when crossing the road. Its now my weekend. Please get a phone when you are home and call in the next two weeks. Keep eating funny food. It makes me even more proud!Lots of love. Laura

July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love trying to imagine you navigating the busy streets of Kampala and getting fascinating looks from the locals. The white girl from Victoria takes on the busy life in Uganda - way to go!!
Can't wait to see the pictures.
Also, good work on scorfing down the food - I would stay away from those grasshoppers if you can though!
Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.
All the best!

July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha how funny is it that you are destined to be "East Africa's Next Top Model"!!!
you'll learn to live with the food... imagine how much worse it would taste if YOU had to cook it- you'd have no idea how :)

miss you... I have 3 hours of Monsieur Hérique in a row in the fall.... ugggggh too bad you're missing out!

have fun!!

July 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home