Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lovely Day

So had such a lovely day. Well this morning we talked about radio procedures and what to do if ambushed etc - I guess that wasn't that lovely but I had already read most of the procedures. This afternoon there was no power and the photocopying took too long so instead of doing report writing training we sat out in the yard under a tree until the rain came then we all sat on the veranda watching the storm and chatting. Definitely think of that cheesy 80s song by Toto about the rains down in Africa when it rains. Even with the rain it was good team bonding. Dad you would have loved it - debates about the world cup and the premiership - apparently I'm working with Arsenal supporters (I know I spelled that wrong). Even when the football talk got too technical for me I was still entertained because you can see the road and the swamp out back through the bamboo fence just a little bit so you can watch as people walk by - the kids coming home from school in their bright uniforms, women carrying their babies, the occasional truck (I have no idea how they drive on that road it's not much more than a dirt path) and of course the ever present scooters...
I'm trying to learn the language well I got Susan to write out greetings and a few key words but you don't really say things how they are spelled though hopefully it will help. I wish I understood because occasionally people switch and I'm completely left out of the conversation. I should get off here and go for a walk - I haven't left the compound since like yesterday morning because now they are having dinner brought in so there's no reason to leave but it's not good for me to stay in here. It's too sheltered, I need to learn how to be out in the real G-Town not just behind my huge metal gates...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget you can call them 'the Gunners'.

Dad

August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home