Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Have to set ground rules

So I didn't think that I needed to do it because I thought they would be common sense and I wanted to be open and available but that has changed. I don't know what it was that put me over the edge, maybe it was the youth arriving at 945 am on Sunday morning with a request to go to the field with them, the 8 out of the past 9 days in the field, the youth pulling me out of lunch to ask me to go to the field, so i say give me five minutes, rearrange my entire schedule, cut short an important conference call with Kampala and partner organizations, print what they asked me to print and then walk out side to find that they have left without me, the 4o degree heat or a combination of all of the above but I've decided to set some ground rules now with a month to go.

They are:
1. Unless previously arranged, Erin is not available before 8am, after 6 pm and on weekends.
2. Erin will not respond to being beeped (calling me letting it ring once and then hanging up so that I have to call them back - possibly the most annoying thing on the planet) outside of these hours so if it is an emergency, actually call.
3. If Erin is needed to go to the field, she requires at absolute minimum 3 hours notice, ideally at least a day.

I am not the youth's little peacebuilding monkey and am kinda beyond pissed off at the moment. Have pretty much decided to go to Kampala on Saturday morning or Friday afternoon strictly to get away and get a chance to relax. Will also be going next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home