Sunday, December 03, 2006

Top Threes

So the wedding reception I cancelled (rainchecked) plans for b/c I finally read the invitation and it said 3pm, actually won’t get going until about 4 or 430 and I’ve been instructed to show up at least an hour late thus I have some time to kill.
First the big news, I’ve been offered a job implementing the 3 month project Evelyn and I wrote that was just funded. So I’ll be staying here until April with a slight downside, I’ll be moving to Gulu but that’s ok 80% of my friends have offered me couches or spare rooms for the weekend.

Besides that I thought I share with you some lists of my three stars or top three lists.

Top three reasons I’ll be traveling back to Kampala on an almost weekly basis once I move to Gulu:
3. the lack of western food (aka the only food I know how to cook and can eat for more than 4 days at a time without losing my appetite) and warm running water
2. the tiny number of major activities to keep me occupied when not working
1. the number of friends I have in Kampala vs the number of friends I have in Gulu

Top three sources of calcium
3. cheese on pizza
2. yogurt
1. calcium supplements

Top three things I should have in my house but don’t:
3. lantern for when the power goes out
2. shaving cream – cut the crap out of my leg yesterday
1. scotch tape (or cello tape as they call it here)

Top three reasons the guards here think (incorrectly!!!) I ummm…. get around:
3. I will hug people regardless of gender when displays of affection between couples (even married couples) is incredibly rare
2. I will meet male friends for drinks/coffee alone and will get home after midnight when out with the boys (scandalous evenings included dinner with Ties and Marijn followed by drinks at the bar where I’m pretty sure I was only invited to keep the prostitutes away, going for a beer with Nate after work on a Thursday and having dinner with Dave)
1. I have a number of male friends (for the most part men and women are not friends here unless they are dating/sleeping together - yay for cultural differences)

Top three reasons I hate technology:
3. my computer still has not been fixed so I can’t watch the huge stack of dvds I have
2. the fax machine is my nemesis
1. I cannot do a large part of my job until the cd drive on the laptop is fixed

Top three holiday traditions I already miss:
3. Christmas cartoons on tv
2. advent calendars
1. festive events with family and friends that start in late November and don’t end until early January

Top three things I can cook here besides cookies (aka my rotating menu):
3. Steak in a frying pan
2. Pasta and veggies
1. spaghetti bolognaise

Top three things I do or say that shock people:
3. Be ok with gay marriage (South Africa just legalized it and when asked my opinion say meh it’s normal been legal at home for a couple of years)
2. “Even if I had a boyfriend here, I’d still go home whenever I wanted to” (that one resulted in me being called stubborn….but it's true if I was really really homesick there is very little that would keep me somewhere i was miserable)
1. “No thanks, I don’t really want any fried grasshoppers”

Top three reasons I’m still going to be late for this wedding reception:
3. I don’t know where this venue is
2. I’m pretty sure there’s a lovely traffic jam
1. I should be there in half an hour and I’m still blogging with my hair and make-up not done at all (ah well at least the present is wrapped)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home