Monday, March 05, 2007

life is beautiful in K'la

So been in Kampala since Saturday and got to work from the Kampala office today which was absolutely wonderful. I really needed the break after spending five days straight in the field. Though Friday's day in the field was enjoyable because we were showing Dwight from Toronto office and his wife Sue our projects and stuff. Sue and I got to go fabric shopping in Amuru at the shop of one of our landmine survivors who recieved a loan and then we wandered around the market for a bit and talked to children. My luo is getting much better, I can almost have a full conversation! Ok it's still like a hi how are you? i'm fine where are you going type conversation but I'm impressed. Dropped off the visitors at Paara lodge in murchison falls nat'l park so I got my one safari as we drove through the park - saw some buffalo, antelope-y things, porcupine and tons of birds and things. Got back to Gulu at 1120 at night.
Saturday morning I was supposed to take the post bus down to Kampala for the weekend and get to Kristy's in time for an afternoon drink and bbq. Youth meeting that I wasn't informed about until Thursday meant I couldn't leave at 8am and had to wait til almost one to leave.... so much for a relaxing afternoon in K'la. But when i got out to the house in naguru and finally escaped from the bathroom (door sticky and got stuck for a while after my shower), headed next door to Mark's house which is like Canada nice to catch the end of the BBQ. Spent the night sitting on the balcony overlooking the city eating newly imported italian chocolate (Mark works for WFP and their headquarters is in Rome), sipping a lemon cocktail and noting how good life is in Kampala. It's only now that I've been back that I realize how much better my life was here rather than in Gulu. That's not to say I don't enjoy the people I work with and all that in Gulu but still........
Sunday involved grocery shopping, going to a movie (Apoctolypto - not recommended at all!!!) and watching episodes of prison break. Today was a meeting at the office and then some procurement (aka shopping for books for the resource centre) now I'm off to Nicole's bday dinner at the new Turkish restaurant. Man life is good in Kampala.
Gulu tomorrow and then it's back to the grind stone hard core not that i didn't work hard today but anyways.
The end of my contract is approaching and I can't believe the amount of work still to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home