Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Problematizing Normality

Well entering my third month over here and it’s amazing how my definition of normal has changed in this short time. Things that are normal now:
- Only having power every other night. So normal that I get excited when I get electricity on a no-power night even if it’s only for like an hour and I whine when there’s no power on a power night.
- The traffic driving on the other side of the road. I only realized the other day that instead of the usual being worried about being somewhere where they drive on the left – I’m worried I’ll have problems walking around town and driving when I get back in Canada.
- Random livestock in a residential area. Walking from home to the nearest supermarket I usually pass at least 5 chickens/guinea fowl and a couple of goats, once there was a cow….
- Getting crammed into a glorified minivan with a bunch of strangers to sit in traffic for a while as my preferred mode of transportation or else riding on the back of a stranger’s motorcycle to get where I need to go and paying less than a dollar for most transportation
- Occasionally hearing the call to prayer from the mosque at the corner
- Being called by my skin colour more often than my name (except by ppl I know)
- Knowing the price quoted isn’t the real price and knowing that I pay more than most of the people I know
- Every so often being shocked to actually notice my skin colour and that I don’t look like my coworkers.
- Seeing someone with a large gun outside a building or really anywhere
- Knowing that the success or failure of peace talks will have an impact on your life
- Hearing that my coworkers and friends have all lost someone they knew either to the war or to HIV/AIDS and sometimes both
- Being able to eat a meal at a restaurant for less than 3 dollars including a soda in a glass bottle (oh and calling pop soda) and staying in decent hotels for less than 15 dollars

Things that are no longer normal:
- Traffic lights and lanes on roads. Oh hell, paved un-potholed roads
- Anything being on time.
- Drinking tap water or bottled water that doesn’t have a safety seal on it
- Having a TV
- Driving myself anywhere (I hope I’ll remember how to drive when I’m back)
- Having pets
- Stocking up for a week or more at the grocery store without worrying that it’ll go bad when the power goes out
- Not having to get let into my own yard – living in a compound
- Blending in and being treated just like everyone else – you mean I can’t just walk through security, setting off the metal detector or take my backpack in places that everyone else has to check their bags (even file folders) when I get home????
- Not having to ask the military about the security situation before visiting clients
- Hailing an anonymous taxi without any worries
- Being ignored by children
- Seeing only adults begging/panhandling on the street
- Giving directions that include specific street number addresses instead of landmarks and general neighbourhoods

Please excuse the overly theoretical title - I know some people will find it funny.......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Communicating as we are now was of course not known. Letters posted was the only practical way to communicate which meant very little communication and certainly extremely long periods of time between "sending" and "receiving". The "rejected" mail was sometimes not read until the mail was redirected back to Canada which, in some cases, meant the sender (grandma) was now dead.

We were a group of people constantly travelling overland so our life was quite hard. We would meet ex-pats along the way doing stints something like yours. I can assure you the culture shock is fairly equal both ways and you will always be branded with your African experiences.

Be careful as life is cheap in Africa. I'm sure you're aware of that by now.

Mike G.

October 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home