Tuesday, March 13, 2007

What does get me

So as stated below I don't cry but that doesn't stop things from bothering me. Today one of the youth from the community who works with the Youth Coalition for Peace here dropped by with a letter for me. In a nutshell, the letter said that he finished O level (ordinary level of secondary school), tried to do driving school but couldn't finish b/c of financial problems, (mom died and dad married someone else and left him behind) and is unemployed and bored, so he asked if CPAR and I had any thing to keep him busy. Now Collins is the same age as I am and a good guy, friendly and talkative - someone who at home might not have the education level to get an amazing job but would still be very employable, eg. TBG would probably love him. Here he's just one of thousands. There are tons of people my age, older and younger with so much potential but there's nothing for them to do. It's killing me I can't help him out, there's no work here. I didn't know what to say so he's coming back to tomorrow which means I have to figure out how to tell him we can't even offer him something to occupy his time let alone provide a paycheck. Sometimes I feel like what I do really does make an impact and then other times I am so helpless it is soul crushing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home